When starting Visual Studio …
- … by loading a solution file, no windows display and the Solution Explorer remains empty.
- … you get a bunch of error messages thrown in your face.
- … you can only add text in the editor, not remove it.
- … some other strange, unexplainable thing prevents you from using Visual Studio as you normally would.
If you are having one of the issues above and neither restarting Visual Studio or rebooting your machine helps, then there is a large change your Component Model Cache is corrupt and you need to delete that folder using following steps
So, here is how you fix it:
- Close Visual Studio (if you haven’t done so already out of despair)
- Open a file explorer window and navigate to your AppData folder. You can get there by:
- In the search bar, type %APPDATA%/.. and press enter
- Alternatively, navigate to C:\Users\\AppData
- Go into Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\<version> where <version> is 12.0 for Visual Studio 2013.
- Delete the ComponentModelCache folder.
Hope it helps !